LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Dictionary and The Holy Bible

Someone posted online that she doesn't need a dictionary to be wise but all she needs is the Holy Bible.

This was her statement, "Someone gave me a piece of advice that I need a dictionary to be wise but I said, 'No thanks.  All I need is the Holy Bible.'"

I remember I told her that she needs a dictionary to check her grammar and vocabulary. It started from this argument: The Difference Between Colorful and Monochromatic Designs. I didn't say she needs a dictionary to be wise.

As we all know, a dictionary doesn't make you wise just like the Holy Bible.  We need to use the dictionary in order to check our grammar, vocabulary and the correct usage of English words in writing and speaking.  We need the Holy Bible to live the words of God.

The original language of the Bible was written in Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic.  There are versions of the Bible translated into other languages.  Gregory Martin made the English translation and the work was revised by Allen and Bristow.  Source: http://www.cathtruth.com/catholicbible/bookbook.htm



For sure, the people who translated the Bible into English also studied the languages Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic.  We can't easily translate a foreign language to another if you don't know the language well.  That's why if we're in another country that speaks in different language we have to buy a dictionary from their mother tongue to English and vice versa.

I admit I seldom read or don't read the Holy Bible at all.  Well, I have read it when I was younger but didn't finish it though.  The Bible I used to read was written in English although there is a Cebuano version for that.  My father told me that if I want to learn to write and to speak in English, the Holy Bible is the most perfect book to read.  If I don't understand some of the words written on it, of course, I just have to refer the English dictionary.  Don't forget that it has the most beautiful stories of all time.

My father is done reading the Holy Bible.  He grew up in a convent because his uncle was a priest.  He even read the Cebuano version of the Holy Bible.  He admits that he always refer to an English dictionary (or English-Cebu and vice versa) to know the meaning of the words he has encountered.

The words of God are very deep.  The words written on the Bible have several idiomatic expressions.  Some may be able to understand, some may be not.  Some people have different interpretations with the Bible.

The Bible explains how to live.  Reading the Holy Bible doesn't make you wise instantly.  The real wisdom we can get from the Holy Bible is to live and act every word of it.  That is practice what we preach or what we learn from the Bible.

Please don't be a HYPOCRITE that you don't need a dictionary to check the meaning of the words you encounter from the Bible. If we can't understand it, we even ask more from someone who knows the Bible well for explanation.  

Sorry if I have the impression of her comparing which is wiser than the other.  The Holy Bible is INCOMPARABLE.  It teaches us to listen, act and live the good words of God.  A dictionary improves us to learn the language and the correct usage of words.  Mathematics helps us to be skilled in arithmetic.  Science and technology make our lives easier.

All in all, these are books that talk about different subjects or topic but they have the same purpose, to educate us from different fields.

You can't be wise instantly just by reading a book.  You can be wise through experience, act and live upon it.  Another thing is to be an apprentice to gain wisdom from the expert.

I just want to share this to you what I've found online.  It talks about wisdom.
Source: http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/honor-the-wise-person/

Disclaimer: Pictures above are not mine.

No comments: