LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

The Calling of the Souls, a Halloween Tradition

Last night, I went to my boyfriend's house (again) and I witnessed their tradition which I never used or tried to. It is called sangpit or the calling of the souls of their relatives or the souls from purgatory. Just like you are inviting a living person for the feast.

His mother prepared special foods, drinks and cigarettes to offer for the special visitors. They lighted candles on the doorway. It started by a prayer and after that the calling was made. It was from 7:30 to 8:00 pm. I remember when my grandmother was alive, she really believed that on that time, souls were really visiting her, including my grandfather and other relatives. She also lighted candles on the doorway and prayed.

I was very silent then and just observed their tradition. It was weird to hear someone calling of the souls but I never felt anything wrong on what was happening. Souls are harmless and they were enjoying the feast last night.

The only evidence that souls were really present at their home was the cigarettes. Actually they lit 3 traditional tobaccos and 3 filtered cigarettes put in a small platter. Of the 3 filtered cigarettes, 2 were smoking as if somebody really smoked just like a living person do. Within 30 minutes, the sizes of the tobaccos and cigarettes stayed the same except for the 2.

I really believe that souls especially our relatives will really help us if you pray for them. His mother told me that this is their way to share their blessings for the souls.

2 comments:

Cebu Attractions said...

hi. can you include me in your "my blog list"

" Cebu Attractions"

thanks,
ren

Rox said...

sure. also include me yours. thanks